Monday, January 6, 2014

Why Writers Make Great Friends


We all know the stereotype. Writers are antisocial homebodies who just shut themselves in their house/bedroom/dorm room/writing office and do nothing but brood, sip tea, and write reverently on their favorite typewriter. And we'd be remiss if we didn't mention the mousy appearance, the huge glasses, and general cynical hipster attitude.

But, if you've seen any of my posts, you must be able to conclude that we are not all like this. Are some of us? Yes. And more power to them for totally rocking the stereotype and their awesome typewriters. I want.

Don't believe me? Oh, honey, pull up a chair and let me educate you.

Why writers make great friends:


We're weird. You're weird. And that's totally fine.



It's true, for writers and for those of us who aren't. We're all kind of strange. I like to burrow into big fluffy down comforters and watch movies, and during my AP Government class the other day someone was telling us that the White House now requires papers running stories on anything to do with the White House to use the pictures the government sends, and I almost-shouted "Smells like a dystopian government!" If you can believe it, I got some weird looks.

But you know what's great about writers being so weird? We completely accept your level of weird. Generally, we think it's pretty cool that people are different than us, and don't be surprised if we use you for character study. I know all of my friends are studies for me. We study people we think are super cool, and by being weird we don't only accept your weird but kind of want to just bask in it. Because weirdness is coolness.

We're pretty good with words.



Did you see that coming? Hopefully, you did. But I mean, it's kind of our trade: we're good at expressing what we mean in words, or at the very least taking something that we want to say and structuring it beautifully. You can go up to a writer and vent your problems, and a good portion of the time we'll have something to say about it. And if not...we're also good huggers, too. So there's that.

Not to mention we're actually not too shabby at giving advice. I love talking (haha, no kidding...) and if you let me I will talk to my friends for hours on end. I've done it. And I'll still have people come up to me and say, "You know, you said this to me once and it, like, hit me. Like...wow. It was really deep." Half the time I don't remember what I said (just goes to show you how scatterbrained I am) but hey, I said it. We're good for scoping out the important things in life and saying them in a way that makes sense. And apparently sometimes blows the mind.

We can be your biggest cheerleaders and fangirls.


It can be almost embarrassing. Writers are passionate people, and we like to see passion in others. That's what makes people different from another, and that's what we like. So when you're studying away for a test you're afraid you'll fail, trying on outfits for a first date, or even writing on your own, we cheer you on to the point of irritation, and fangirl over your accomplishments like you're the next Benedict Cumberbatch. And we don't ask for anything in return. You can see it most prevalently between writers, because we have a tendency to fangirl over each other. Even two authors of completely different genres can start a compliment war (and mean it) that lasts fifteen minutes before they accept the fact that they're both awesome and break for coffee. We're a pretty loving bunch, not much drama for us. Save that for the books. So if you're in need of someone to root for you, find a writer. We're gonna be your new cheer squad and fanbase. Accept it.

What do you think? 
Got any other traits that make writers great people to be around? Share in the comments below. I'm always open to hear from you guys!

Finger cramps and plot block,
Brie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your genius here.