Monday, June 23, 2014

Maniacal Mondays: Pura Vida

It's been two weeks of silence on my end, and as is customary in this Monday post I'm going to do a little bit of explaining why, but first off, hello again, my loves! Through these last few weeks of what can only be described as fantastic mayhem I've been thinking up blog post after blog post, and I'm ready to get back in the swing of things.

So, a little update about my life since the last time I blogged. Well, I graduated high school:

My brother Ian and I pre-ceremonies
Which was both in my mind four years late and far too early. It didn't really hit me until I was about to walk the stage for my diploma that I am, in fact, now a college student, an adult, and a new, terrifying kind of student. I need to start writing down my thoughts and the like, because as I get older and farther away from this age that I'm writing for, I want to be able to keep the voice. But more on that later.

I also got a summer job, working retail and slowly but surely realizing that we as a species are actually pretty dumb. (Don't ask me what the price of something is if it's marked on the tag, and sure as hell don't ask me all of our promotions. There's almost always at least seven, and they're always marked on our tables.)

But most recently, I spent two weeks in Costa Rica with my family as a graduation gift, hence the lack of communication. I didn't bring my laptop, which ended up being fortunate given the humidity and overall general lack of wifi, so I was away from the internets. But it was amazing, so beautiful and biologically diverse. I learned to surf, I went ziplining through the jungle, saw the volcano in all her glory, went to some natural hot springs...it was a wonderful, incredible experience. Although being home is nice, what with the lack of high humidity and paved roads. But I wouldn't trade it for anything. It really taught me to slow down after school and the constant go-go-go of projects and work. The Costa Rican lifestyle is summed up in their saying, 'Pura Vida'. It's their equivalent of Hakuna Matata, pure life. Let it go, it will all come to you. No amount of stressing or panicking will bring life any closer to you than it already is, and there is beauty and wonder in the spaces of life we don't plan for. Definitely a perfect present for graduation.

Also, I held a baby monkey. It was pretty great.

And as we end this literal deluge of personal updating, I thought I'd give you guys a preview of what's coming up on the blog. We're gearing up for some realism talk, foremost about the controversial stuff, because it's been affecting us internationally for centuries and Rand Paul just made it part of his platform in the U.S. You'll hear all about that later. But for now, my lovelies, enjoy your summers, and I'll see you all tomorrow.

Pura Vida,
Brie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your genius here.