Monday, August 18, 2014

Maniacal Mondays: Apex

This morning, I woke up to boxes.

I've been packing my things the past two days to move to college, and it's been a bit emotional for me. Not in the sobbing or nostalgic way, yet, actually the anxious way. What do I pack? Is this too much? And seriously, since when have I had eight billion pairs of socks?

A representation of what my room looks like right now.

As I'm going off to school for the first year tomorrow, I have absolutely no idea how much I should be packing. I thought I packed too many pants, but what if it gets cold? What if my sweaters aren't enough? Should I bring a heavier coat? These things plagued me all day yesterday, and I really only got two of my boxes shut. Now I'm down to the nitty gritty things I need: contacts, medications, all the good small things that you generally tend to forget when you go somewhere. Like toothpaste (which I totally did buy in bulk and totally did pack) and other things. So if you don't hear from me tomorrow, rest assured that I am hauling boxes into my room and wishing that I were sitting comfortably on my couch and writing a blog post. Because honestly I probably won't have time today between packing, cleaning, and my last supper to write another blog post, since I leave early tomorrow.

The one thing I did not expect is a sense of transience, like the point at which a jump becomes a fall, the apex. I'm not really home at my house anymore, but I'm not home on campus yet, either. I'm at this halfway point between being a teenager and a high school kid to nearly being an adult and being a full-time student. All of the expectations of me are now gone except for those that are my own, and besides the posters, flags, and photos, I don't really have a space that is my space. It's wherever I inhabit.

But unfortunately I have to cut this post short - packing calls once again. So until I blog again, good luck to you guys going back to school, and for everyone else like me who is moving out to college, can you give a girl some tips?

Clickies:

@themoorewriter talks being stuck halfway and other weird concepts that come with leaving home [Tweet it!]

Boxes on boxes on boxes: @themoorewriter is gearing up for #collegelife and freaking out in the process. [Tweet it!]

Packing tape and Sharpie labeling,
Brie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your genius here.