Saturday, August 4, 2012

I hope I can be like Suzanne Collins or J.K. Rowling.

But not for the thousands upon thousands of copies of their books they sell and copious amounts of money they'll make- though I have to admit that would be nice.

Their characters: Harry, Katniss, Hermione, Peeta, Ron, Gale, Draco - they've all been brough from words on a page to real life people. The movies didn't do that, the books did. I have never seen books wield such power. In addition, they use that power wisely - they create fantastic characters that are relatable and imperfect but memorable.

And the plots! They're not predictable, they need to be read, whatever they do in their writing compels you to read. I read the first book of The Hunger Games in two days, and I couldn't stop thinking about it. The Harry Potter books, spanning publication when I was in kindergarten all the way to middle school took me maybe a week to read, tops. The seventh book took me a little longer. I've been hunting for a paper copy of Catching Fire, but the only one is at a friend's house that happens to be a bit of a trick getting to. But who wouldn't want to have a book that no one could put down?

As a writer, of course I want to have books like theirs that are, you know, published. But I dream of having books that are loved.

So yes, I want to be like JK Rowling and Suzanne Collins. Can you blame me?

Tan lines and sunshine,
Brie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your genius here.