Thursday, August 9, 2012

So I walked into my library's teen fiction section today...

I'm not ashamed to say I died inside a little. Are we serious right now, YA publishing industry? You want to tell me what good is a bunch of different series with the same plot structure? I was hopeful I could find something relatively good or original, but after getting from A to the twelve or thirteen various copies of The Hunger Games and its sequels, I gave up.

Why are books getting so repetitive? Yes, people appreciate having a familiar aspect in a story, but am I the only one that wants to read something different when I take the time out of my busy schedule to read? This isn't even attributed to a small selection of books, my hometown library is ranked in the top five in the country. I don't think it's due to lack of resources.

Literally, almost 75% of the books I picked up had this plot structure:

1) The protagonist (always a girl, by the way) has some sort of problem, whether it's mental or physical, and is sent somewhere new, whether it's a new type of school, town, or even a new section of town.

2) Said protagonist meets a mysterious boy who just *happens* to be attractive.

3) Knowing/loving this boy puts the protagonist in danger.

Now, I don't mind reading something like that every once in awhile, but I can't believe that a good portion of my library's teen section is just that. It's like walking into a clothing store and seeing the same shirt in different colors. If it's just a plain shirt, the colors are the only thing you're looking at. And a lot of the colors of the books aren't that original, either. They'd be grays, muted purples, and blues.

So for those of us who read and write, do me this one favor. Stop buying these books. Look for something new, original. Because the only reason they publish these books is because people will buy them. Demand something new from the industry when you buy or read books.

Turning pages and stroking bindings,
Brie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your genius here.